Wednesday, November 19, 2014

If I Become King

We all do this. We sit around with friends and colleagues and complain about the way things are being done where we work, and about the people in charge. And we always have a better way to do it.

Back before the earth cooled I was a young junior officer at my first actual job in the Navy (at the ripe old age of 25) after receiving my wings.  I was the branch officer responsible for the care and feeding of 27 aviation electricians. It wasn’t my first leadership role. I’d already held a couple of those before I entered the Navy. And like a lot of young (and sometimes even old) guys I sat around with my pals and we often complained about how screwed up things were and how we would do things differently if we were the King. So I decided to keep a log of things I liked and disliked about the way things were being done, and what I liked and disliked about the leadership styles of the senior officers with whom I served. Most of the comments were bullet points about this and that, and over time it filled about 15 or so pages. I was determined that If I Become King I would do things differently. I would do things right!

About ten years later, when I was put in my first department head job, I recalled that book and pulled it out. I was no longer a junior officer. So as I read through it I was amazed at some of the things that I had written. I was amazed that some of what I had written was still valid. I was even more amazed that about 75% of what I thought needed changing was due to utter naiveté. Of course, when I was younger I thought I had all the answers. But I now had more life and work experience and, while some of what I felt needed to be changed or incorporated into what I wanted my leadership style to be was still pertinent, a lot of what I thought needed changing was due more to my lack of knowledge and experience than a process or leadership style that was erroneous.

On the surface, it would appear that if about 75% of what I wrote down to change was wrong then it was a failed exercise. I don’t think so. I did learn some things from that exercise that have stuck with me since:

·         It’s easy to complain about something when we don’t have the whole picture.
·         Not everything that we think is being done wrong is actually being done wrong.
·         Many things we don’t like have nothing to do with the efficiency or effectiveness of what’s being done, it’s more about our personal preference.
·         Just because we become leaders doesn’t mean we’re done learning. On the contrary. I’ve learned more about leadership while being a leader than I ever learned in a water cooler conversation or in a leadership training class.

There are times when I wish I had kept a similar journal when I started my corporate career. It would be interesting to see if the results would be the same. I still see things being done that I don’t agree with but now I am more able to discern whether it is an actual problem that needs to be addressed, or just something that I would personally do differently If I Become King.



We want to hear what you think. Leave a comment and let’s start a discussion.

Copyright © 2014 The Cobalt Group, LLC. All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment