Thursday, October 30, 2014

Looking Within to Look Without

In a recent post I discussed building long term client relationships. I started thinking about the people I really liked working with and what their qualities were. I’m a social person. Not everyone else is so I have learned to adapt to the social styles of colleagues and clients alike. The one thing we all have in common is that we are human. And all humans have needs. Often, I will try to put myself in my customer’s shoes and ask myself what are the characteristics of the person(s) with whom I prefer doing business. It boiled down to a few basic traits.

Is there chemistry? Some people we just like and don’t know why. We just sort of click with them. Others, not so easy. I can work with people I don't click with but it's easier there is a good chemistry.

Are they professional? I want them to behave like a business person. I also want them to treat me like a professional too.

Do they seem to care about my needs and concerns? When someone at least acts like they care I am more willing to do business with them. I know they are trying to make a sale but I don’t want to feel like all I am is their next sale. That will sour me instantly.

Are they reliable? The people I do business with must earn my trust. I want know I can count on them to be there if I need them. I also want a good deal for whatever I buy but I am willing to pay a little more if I believe the customer service from one person will be better than another.

It’s kind of like looking in a mirror and seeing what is reflected. Am I being to others what I want them to be to me? Am I giving them a reason, beyond the product or service I’m offering, to want to do business with me?

Ask yourself that question. And be honest with your answer.



We want to hear what you think. Leave a comment and let’s start a discussion.

Copyright © 2014 The Cobalt Group, LLC. All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment