Monday, May 13, 2013

The Carpenter's Tool Belt


The Carpenter’s Tool Belt

We've all seen the construction guys on building sites (and even some of our neighbors--us included—on some weekends) with their big belts on with their tools of the trade. 

Those tool belts hold the items that they come to use on a daily basis. It doesn't contain all of their tools, just the ones that they tend to use more frequently than others. 

The other tools are, perhaps, sitting in a box in their truck or somewhere else on the site. Those are the tools that they use less often so they don’t put them in their belt daily.

A few years ago I was scheduled for some more sales training. I have probably been to about 15 sales training courses and the last thing I wanted to do was take 3 days out of my schedule to attend yet another ‘mandatory’ training course. 

I went, and something happened. 

It was nothing earth shattering but I relearned something again…I wasn't using all of my tools!

As a sales and business development professional I had a tool box that I had built up over the years. I had tools in there that had I came to use most frequently based on experience and personal preference. 

Those tools were the ones I kept in my tool belt. The exercises we did in those three days made me reach back into my tool box and look at things I had not used in a long time, and had likely forgotten were even there. 

Sure, some were tools designed for use in specific circumstances but most were tools that I had just quit using for one reason or another.

At the end of those three days I went from begrudgingly going to a ‘mandatory’ sales training event to happily realizing that I had learned something from a course that was not really any different than most of the other Sales 101 courses I had taken. 

I realized that I, like many of us, went to work each day and over time kept using the same tools. 

A good friend asks me at the end of each time we get together what was the best thing I got out of our meeting. 

The best thing I got out of this course was that I have more tools than I carry in my tool belt and that I need to keep evaluating which ones I put in my belt every day.

What’s in your tool belt?

For more information about how The Cobalt Group can help you with any business or leadership challenges you are facing, Contact us.

We want to hear what you think. Leave a comment and let’s start a discussion.

Copyright © 2013 The Cobalt Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment